These Asian inspired pork ribs combine sweet honey and zesty red jalapeno jelly in the glaze and Chinese 5 spice powder in the rib rub providing a delightful Asian-inspired flavor to these tender grilled pork ribs.
Recipe makes 4 servings
- 2 racks baby back pork ribs
- Vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Chinese 5 Spice powder
- Handful of apple wood or hickory chips for smoking (soaked in water and drained)
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 3/4 cup clover honey
- 3 tablespoons red jalepeno jelly
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- One hour before smoking, coat both sides of ribs with a small amount of vegetable oil and sprinkle the baby back ribs with Chinese 5 spice. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Heat charcoal or gas grill for indirect cooking at 250 degrees F. Add drained wood chips, if using.
- Place the ribs on the grill, meaty side down, over a drip pan and cook for 2 hours. Add about 12 coals to a charcoal grill every 45 minutes or so to maintain the heat.
- Remove baby back ribs from grill. Wrap each rack of ribs in heavy duty aluminum foil. Return wrapped ribs to the grill and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours more over indirect heat, until very tender. Add more coals as needed to maintain temperature for a charcoal grill.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Combine all ingredients in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat and simmer glaze for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove ribs from grill and unwrap. Place ribs over direct heat on grill and brush with honey red pepper glaze. Cook for about 5 minutes until the glaze is set. Turn ribs and repeat with more glaze.
- PREP 15 mins
- COOK 3 hrs 30 mins
- READY IN 4 hrs 45 mins